Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cooper Crit, Little 500 & Austin Flyers Chipotle Burrito Ride


Cooper Crit

My team and I went up to Mc Kinney, Texas last weekend for the Toyota-sponsored Cooper Crit. The course was a lot of fun with its 9 turns and brand new, grippy concrete. The heat cooked us to a crisp over the 75 minutes of racing, but we still ended up all getting in the top 10. Joseph rode off with 5th and John and I sprinted in for 8th and 6th.

Afterward, I played around on Josh from Rol's 26er BMX bike. That thing is so much fun. I think I'm gonna' go hang out at the Walnut Creek pump track and hi-jack it the next time he's out there.


Little 500
The next day, my other team (The Sativa Rollers) and I attended the Rapha/Mellow Johnny's Little 500 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Breaking Away. The dream team that I had somehow put together consisted of: Scottish BMX World Champ and Austin Chronicle Award-winning Photographer–Sandy Carson, Two-time Arkansas Freestyle Bicycle Moto-Cross Champion/Peddler Bike Shop Owner/Father of Two–AJ Camp, 13-time X-Games Gold and Triple Gold Medalist Super-freestyle Trampoline Razor Scooter Champ–Aaron Ross, and myself.

We have been training for months for this event and it all payed off. After practicing our transitions at night with no lights, we knew once we were able to do them in the daylight on an actual race track that we'd be a force to be reckoned with. The team rode fantastically throughout the day and in true BMX fashion, the 500 mile race ended in a field sprint with myself taking the victory.

The Sativa Rollers send a big "Thanks" to all that showed up to cheer us with their cowbells, water splashes, and apple hand-ups. Without your support, this race could not have been won. I'd also like to send a special thanks to one lovely Ms. Kate Sherwin for helping the Sativa Rollers maintain their lead throughout the last 50 laps. She has been awarded the "HIGHest" Award for her smooth, strong efforts.

Celebrating victory

Rollin'

Aaron Ross is the boss

Andrew Willis of Holland Racing

Patrick Newell documents the scene

Jesse Slate

Patrick Newell

Bandits!

Andrew Willis

Austin Flyers Burrito Ride
Who wouldn't ride their bike for a free Chipotle burrito and free beer? Well, over 300 people couldn't resist the temptation so they headed southeast from Austin together for 15-mile, 35-mile, and 60-mile rides. My long-lost Mexican brother and I felt the need to tame the herd as we approached the outskirts of town. In order to keep the attacks at a minimum and to keep the ride as smooth and as safe as possible, we moved rode on the front, side-by-side, to keep the pace high for the next 40 miles. It turned out to be a great, mostly cloudy day for July standards. Oh, and the burritos were scrumptuous as usual. I washed mine down with a Berry Long Ride Smoothy from The Bicycle Sport Shop's coffee bar. I can't wait for next year's ride!.. or I guess I could just go eat a burrito and a smoothy after every ride... hmmmm...


Packed

More than 300 deep cruising down S. 1st

No comments:

Post a Comment